Lennox Longboard Classic 2012
Old Guys Rule 15th Lennox Longboard Classic 2012
Held on the weekend, the 4th & 5th August 2012, at Lennox Main Beach. 2 breaks were utilizied over the 2 days as the beach break south of the Lennox hotel was better on Saturday & on Sunday lefts working well on the morning high tide north of the hotel. 100 Competitors covering 9 age divisions from Junior/Cadetst to Over 6O’s, Old Mal & a ladies open division. The comp in it’s 15th year.
We were greeted with 2 classic winters days, morning high tides & clean very contestable waves. To put it into perceptive, near perfect.. The stage was set for some classic longboard riding, with Over 30’s division the exception of the whole weekend, serving up some classic moves on their second heat, with noseriding maneuvers , floaters, dropknee turns & re directional turns in all the moves of three classy longboarders in Nigel Canterbury, Glenn Cunningham & local Aaron Coopersmith. The waves were there & in all divisions, longboard surfing was top notch.
Saturday night festivities were held at the Lennox Hotel, a supporter of the classic since it’s inception. A competitors draw was held with the highlight, the giveaway of 2 longboards from a major sponsor Global Surf Industries. A McTavish evolution to a very stoked young local grommet Nathan Mackenzie of Lennox Head, & the 2nd board, A Stewart Redline, going to Peter Cox from South Oz. Music was the finishing touches to the night with 2 bands Aquaducts & The Wilson Creek Band.
Sunday another pristine day & the semi final & finals were rewarded with great waves. The Preso was at the Lennox Hotel & it was finalised with the drawing of the Contest raffle draw. 1st Prize a Stewart Longboard & Cover from Global Surf Industries & Liquid Glass Oz, went to a local Lennox lady, Gail Parker & 2nd prize, a 2 night accommodation package at The Headland Beach Resort Lennox Head went to Bruce Wilson of Ballina. Proceeds of the raffle go to the Cancer Council of NSW, The Disabled Surfers Association & Biala Special School @ Ballina as per previous years of the classics.
The Support of Our Major Sponsor was paramount. With Naming rights to the Old Guys Rule organization their 3rd year . Global Surf Industries & the Local Media The Northern Star. All the divisional Sponsors are thanked for coming on board for 2012 & all the support for this event is highly regarded, as without it, this event couldn’t be staged. And finally thanks from all of us to the Lennox Head Surf Club for their water safety over the two days.
The highlight of this years Classic was the smiles on both competitor’s & spectators faces, as with great conditions, what a enjoyable weekend it was & one of the best Longboard Classics held at Lennox
The Peter Edmonds Memorial Cadets / Junior, Sponsor- Stomp Surf wax
Cadets, 1. Nathan Mackenzie (Lennox)
Juniors, 1. Rory Collishaw (Caloundra). 2. Callum Gover (Lennox). 3. Kurt Hardy (Lennox). 4. Jack Shanahan (Lennox). 5.Isaac Gazzard (Byron)
Mystery Final, Sponsor, Global Surf Industries
1. Jason Geggie (Lennox). 2. Terry Kay (Lennox). 3. Graig Jones (Old Bar). 4. Bruce Wilson (Ballina). 5. Tom O’Dwyer (Lennox). 6. Roslyn Mackenzie (Lennox).
Open Ladies, Sponsor, Inner Beauty Lennox Head
1. Roisin Carolan (Byron). 2. Mel Mott (Lennox). 3. Carol Stevenson (Lennox). 4. Sally Petrie (Lennox).
Over 50’s Ladies – Mel Mott (Lennox).
Old Mal/Loggers, Sponsor Northern Star
1. Ben Dickens (Lennox). 2. Mike Pimm (Cabarita). 3. Daffy Chisholm (Evans Head). 4. Jack Shanahan (Lennox).
Over 30’s, Sponsor, Liquid Glass Oz.
1. Aaron Coopersmith (Lennox). 2. Glenn Cunningham (Bundaberg). 3. Nigel Canterbury (Burleigh). 4. Ben McCabe (Lennox)
Over 40’s, Sponsor, Triple X Wetsuits & Dirty Dog Eyewear.
1. Jamie Willems (Moffats Beach). 2. Glenn Cunningham (Bundaberg). 3. Danny O’brien (Burleigh).4. Ric Chalmers ( Cabarita). 5. Greg Gover (Lennox). 6. Mick Gett (Cabarita).
Over 50’s, Sponsor, Lennox Head Surf.
1. Ian Williams (Byron). 2. Mike Pimm (Cabarita). 3. Eric Walker (Ballina). 4. Steve Peterson (Cabarita). 5. Denis Carberry (Burleigh). 6. Mike Petrie (Lennox)
Over 60’s, Sponsor, Old Guys Rule.
1. Peter Farrell (Ballina). 2. Denis Lowe (Burleigh). 3. Paul Bioletti (Ballina). 4. Ron Sorrell (Alexandra Headland). 5. Jim Baker (Lennox). 6. Marg Bryant (Ballina).
Open 9 foot, Sponsor Lennox Hotel.
1. Ben Dickins (Lennox). 2. Aaron Coopersmith (Lennox). 3. Clint Guest (Burleigh). 4. Noel Francis (Lennox)
Best Noserider Award 2012.
Jason Geggie (Lennox)
Thanks again to all our Sponsors for 2012, Old Guys Rule, Global Surf Industries, Northern Star, Dirty Dog Eyewear, Triple X Wetsuits, Stomp Surf Wax, Lennox Head Surf, Headland Beach Resort Lennox Head, The Lennox Hotel, The Cancer Council, Liquid Glass Oz, Inner Beauty Lennox Head, Hogs Breath Cafe Byron, Mount Franklin, Phils Foils, Morrison Media, Quattro Restaurant, Fishy Fishy Cafe, In the Pink Lennox & Lime Cafe Lennox.